Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Reaction to Peer Post


As a response to Paavan's post, which was a reaction to Matt's post, I both agree and disagree with what Paavan said. Yes, I also believe that Janie does follow through her Hero Journey. And yes, I do think that Janie's Call to Adventure is that moment when she meets the infamous Joe Starks. Although I must say that beforehand, I thought Janie experiences her call to adventure earlier in the novel...at the "awkward part". I believed that her revelation under the pear tree symbolized her Ordinary World being disrupted. However, after reading Paavan's reasoning to why he thinks meeting Joe Starks is Janie's call to adventure convinced me to think so as well. I can see the logic behind it and I must say, having that event as Janie's call to adventure fits in better with the rest of her journey.

Unfortunately, the next part is where I disagree with Paavan. He said that the Refusal of the Call was when Janie hesitates to accept all that Joe Starks has to offer her (as a husband). Paavan also implies that Janie crosses the threshold when she runs off with Joe Starks, leaving her Ordinary World behind. In my opinion, I think the Refusal of the Call takes place after Janie elopes with Joe Starks. In fact, I think Janie refuses the call during her miserable twenty years living with Joe Starks. During those twenty years, Janie is hesitant to be herself due to the suppression she faces from Joe and therefore, still prefers the comforts of the Ordinary World. Although Janie does seem to build up a longing to escape the Ordinary World, she does not actually leave and enter the Special World (or cross the threshold) until she meets Tea Cake and runs off with him. As Paavan said, Janie's "Ordinary World was the one that Janie's grandmother wished her to live in: in a loveless marriage with someone to protect her". With this, I completely agree with him but I think that her Special World consists of her life with Tea Cake. It is when she is with Tea Cake she is able to quench her hunger to be herself. It is when she is with Tea Cake she is able to follow her heart, ignoring the expectations of society.

Lastly, I disagree with both Paavan and Matt that Janie does not meet a true mentor. It is true that Janie's grandmother does not qualify as a mentor. However, since I had a different opinion on when Janie refuses the call than Paavan, she does meet new people in between her Call to Adventure and her Refusal of the Call. Janie meets Tea Cake. I believe that Tea Cake is the mentor figure in the novel as he unconsciously encourages her to express her true identity by providing the free environment Janie needs. Soon after, Janie crosses the threshold when she leaves with Tea Cake and finally commits to her journey.

By the way, I don't know if you know... but you used a vocab word: "elicit". YAY! Extra points on your vocab average. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment