Sunday, March 1, 2009

Imagery


You can't get any luckier than to have Zora Neale Hurston describe the imagery of the massive flood the characters have to face. She includes many aspects of figurative language, including my favorite, personification, that truly capture the mood of the situation. She effectively describes the predicament that made me actually hold my breath. (I know, it sounds pretty pathetic to be physically holding my breath). Nevertheless, I think that the imagery and potential of Hurston's writing in this particular novel reaches its peak at this moment, leading up to Janie's critical ordeal...dun dun dunnnn.

One line that I thought was phenomenal imagery was, "...the drifting mists gathered in the west -that cloud field of the sky- to arm themselves with thunders and march forth against the world" (158). I can already picture the evil storm clouds lingering off to the side of the blackened sky with the thunder rumbling in the distance. For me, Hurston really establishes the dangerous potential of the severe storm. The way she describes the beginning of the storm immediately brings me to the Muck itself as if I'm in Janie's shoes watching the storm develop. Also, the last phrase, "...and march forth against the world" creates a sense of doom and foreshadows that this storm definitely transcends one of our "severe snowstorms" (that cause school cancellations, such as tomorrow =D ). It is a bold and pessimistic statement, giving the impression that no one will live to see the sun rise again when the storm is finished.

Not only does this line capture the mood of the dreaded storm the characters have to face but also the line, "The sea was walking the earth with a heavy heel" (162) does so too. In this line, personification plays an effective role in describing the effects of the flood. It sums up the way the flood sweeps up everything in its path in one, descriptive line. This line also creates a sense of inevitable destruction and a feeling of no-escape. The "heavy heel" helps create this feeling. When I read that phrase, I thought of a gigantic, iron-made shoe (like the one in Iron Man, except ten times bigger and without the suit). Now, when I put that image in with the rest of the line, the scene I see Hurston portraying is not a pretty sight. I see houses being ripped apart by angry waters and people being swept away from their families by violent waves, screaming for help. Because these are the images Hurston creates for me through her descriptive imagery, she captures the mood of the storm and the characters effectively by transporting me from my desk to the Muck, standing right next to Janie.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Justine's comments that suspense Zora's writing allows you to feel! I also felt myself become drawn into Janie's world by the way it was described. The storm would not have nearly have been as suspenseful without the personification and imagery that Zora uses in her writing. I also liked how you added in sound effects and references to things that have happened in our time (the iron man reference). This not only made your post's more interesting and fun to read, but they gave me a picture of what you were trying to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thanks Casey! I thought it would be nice to add a few references to something we can relate to nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think this was a great point. When reading this part I also noticed Hurston's great use of language, and the examples of personification you mentioned were great. This allowed the scene to have a distinct mood, and helped prove how significant the entire fiasco was to Janie and the novel's plot as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justine - I thought you did a great job of explaining why Hurston's language is so effective. It is amazing how she can say so much with a short sentence or even just a few words. The scene you chose to describe reminded me of Belfast, Maine. I go there every year and my family rents a small cottage on the water. Occasionally, a powerful storm will develop in the bay. Then, we will hear the heavy heel of the ocean smashing against the cliff face as the dark clouds pass overhead.

    ReplyDelete