Saturday, February 21, 2009

Motif of the Phrase "I God" - Chapters 6-10

In this novel, Hurston seems to use Joe’s repeated use of the term “I god…” as a phrase motif. It seems that whenever Joe says this he is trying to assert his power and authority over others, especially Janie. While it might have been a common expression with a different meaning, perhaps this phrase needs to be interpreted literally as Joe claiming he is God. Clearly God represents the ultimate figure of authority and power to religious individuals, and Joe seems to be drawing a parallel between himself and God through his constant use of this phrase. This is in many ways similar to Gatsby using the phrase “old sport” repeatedly in order to try and convince others he belonged to the upper echelon of society.

Joe’s use of this phrase can be observed at numerous points during the novel as he tries to prove his superiority in society. It is seen many times when Joe is exerting his authority over Janie such as when he says “ I god, Lum, you fasten up dis store good befo’ you leave, you hear me” (59), as well as when he exclaims “I god almighty! A woman stay round uh store till she get old as Methusalem and still can’t cut a little thing like a plug of tobacco” (78). In both of these instances Joe is trying to make Janie feel that she is inferior to him. By using this phrase he is subconsciously trying to claim ultimate control, and basically explain that God’s power is shown vicariously through him.

The use of this phrase is shown at other points in the novel as when. When Mrs. Robbins come to Joe begging for food he casually reaffirms his authority over her by saying “I god, Mrs. Robbins, whut make you come heah and worry me when you see Ah’m readin’ mah newspaper” (72)? Joe is simply fooling around with Mrs. Robbins here, but he still uses this phrase to make her feel that she is beneath him and that she should show him more respect. The phrase even appears after Joe’s death when Hezekiah tries to fill Joe’s shoes and yells to Tipp Crawford, “I god, dis ain’t Gimme, Florida, dis is Eatonville” (92). Clearly part of Hezekiah’s method for imitating Joe’s superior role in society is the use of this phrase. Time and time again, Hurston uses the phrase “I god” in her novel as a motif representing an exertion of authority and supernatural superiority.

7 comments:

  1. I never noticed the phrase "I god" until I read your post. I agree with you, and the examples you bring up are good.
    Speaking of "god", I found it weird how the book's title is "Their Eyes Were Watching GOD" but religion is hardly a part of the plot. I guess spirituality is a large part of the book, but organized religion isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Cory. Jody does attempt to control all aspects of life. This can be scene in his approach to life in Eatonville. He becomes the mayor and the landlord of the entire area in an attempt to control everything he sees. His need to control everything causes him to come into conflict with everyone and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did notice the phrase "I god", but I never really understood what it meant. Are they trying to say "My god", just like how Hurston writes "Ah"?

    Sprituality is a large part of the book, but I again don't understand how the title fits the book. Hurston makes numerous God references, but I'm not exactly sure what to make of them. Perhaps I'll make a blog post about this ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory well done picking this out as a motif! I never would have thought of it like that if you had not pointed it out.

    Joanna- Yes it is supposed to mean By God. I'm pretty sure at least... and on page 160 there is a part that says "but their eyes were watching God." so that it where the name literally came from but I am also not sure how the title fits the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cory- I would agree with you that this is a motif, I noticed it within the book but wasnt sure what it referred to since there is so much else in the book that connects to a conflict with God.

    This also connects to Great Gatsby, with the saying of "Old Sport" that stood for a motif as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post my friend. I have read this book back in high school and never saw it from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The expression is a slang speech. By God, as to be surprised by what has been said or happened. The slang is dropping pronunciation of the B and thus spelled with an "I" to get the readers to pronounce it correctly. A supposed pious person would proclaim God in such a way to express absurdity

    ReplyDelete