Thursday, February 12, 2009

Language Appreciation & Interpretation

I have only read seven pages of this book, and I must say I am impressed with the wording and imagery Hurston uses to describe everything. The way she words her sentences are very clever and all I can do is admire it and wish I had that skill.
For example, in the first paragraph on pg 2: "So they chewed up the back parts of their minds and swallowed with relish."So far all the reader knows is that there is a bunch of black women sitting on a porch hungry for gossip, and they see Janie walking home from 'burying the dead'.
This sentance just really grabs my attention . The figure of speech she created is genious. It's kinda hard for me to put into words exactly what I think of it, but it just creates this image that shows me how this culture holds grudges. That's not quite what I mean to say, but that's all I can get into words right now.
But now that I think of it, it refers to page 1 where Hurston states how "women [...] remember everything they don't want to forget". I guess all this does is exemplify the extent of women's memory. However, the first time it is stated as fact, and it is then reiterated cleverly.
The wording Hurston uses to describe how these women remember Janie is so colorful, it made me read the sentance again and really absorb its meaning. The diction Hurston possesses shows itself throughout the chapter, and I am anxious to see more examples throughout the novel.

Another skill that I really appreciate is Hurston's ability to use two very different voices: the omniscient and intellectual narrator and the dialect of women who only know what they need to know, plus gossip. The use of dialect with strage spellings of known words followed by a sudden transition to the intellectual narrator and the colorful and delightful descriptions mixes together well and creates a beautiful compliment to itself. It's a perfect blend, with neither end outweighing the other. I very much look forward to reading deeper into this book, and see this unique writing blend unfold a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment